31 Mar Diaphragm Pumps 6 Design Factors
6 Design Factors in Our Diaphragm Pumps
Finding ways to make our lives simpler is what we strive for. The days of manually operating pump systems is a thing of the past. The single diaphragm pump was invented in 1854 and over the 20th and 21st centuries, many patents have been registered to improve upon the original invented unit.
The design elements and applications for use have delivered the diaphragm pumps that are now used in a number of industries, the top five being in construction, the chemical industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the food and beverage industry and in water treatment facilities. However, they are also used in households, agriculture and mining.
What are diaphragm pumps and how do they work?
Diaphragm pumps transport liquids and viscous liquids safely, efficiently and precisely. Versatile control operations, from flow to shear and from filtering solids to dispensing acute liquid measurements make them ideal for use in a variety of industries and applications. Virtually all major industries utilise diaphragm pumps.
Through positive displacement, compressed air is shifted from one chamber to another through a linked shaft which allows the chambers to move together. The motion caused by the compressed air forces the liquid out of one chamber into the discharge pipe whilst the other chamber is filled with liquid at the same time.
Think of them as double filtering systems where the liquid is drawn in and pushed out twice by compressed air. You can liken this to household water purification systems where normal tap (municipal) water is purified by more than one filter for the removal of sediments and toxins to make it safer for human consumption.
Diaphragm pumps are designed for a purpose – 6 Design Factors
Prochem Chemical Pump Manufacturers are proud suppliers of FTI Air diaphragm pumps. Our diaphragm pumps have exclusive design factors that make them ideal for various applications and environments.
- Materials used in the design form the base of the unit as they are the parts of the pump exposed to the fluid characteristics and outside environment.
- Simplistic and versatile design makes for easy maintenance as there are fewer moving parts which means that no special tools are required. The parts are also individually replaceable at a lower cost.
- The effortlessness of the assembly procedures, together with modular quality builds, allow for continuous efficiency levels. Diaphragm pumps are quieter due to their compact design.
- The design and material used for the air valves are highly efficient and durable making it possible for the units to be used in standard or corrosive operations. Furthermore, superior sealing eliminates air leakage and high-cost replacement seals.
- Due to the compact nature of the design, they are less noisy than most diaphragm pumps.
- The design allows for an impressive suction lift even when heavier fluids are being processed.
Further benefits of our pumps include that they are easy to install, simple to operate, portable, self-priming, submersible, dry-running and economical compared to other positive displacement technologies. Installation flexibility allows them to be used in suction lift applications where the pump is installed above the liquid or even submerged in the liquid.
Durable modular design makes for diaphragm pumps that will last
From the materials used in the external construction (polypropylene, PVDF, aluminium and stainless steel) to the materials used for the internal mechanisms (polypropylene or powder coated aluminium), our units will stand the test of time.
Due to the different characteristics of chemicals and fluids, the chemical industry relies upon air operated double diaphragm pumps as they are seen as the safest design for pumping more aggressive chemicals. The chemical industry uses a wide range of diaphragm pumps. They can handle the most flammable, aggressive, viscous and abrasive fluids with ease.
Prochem Chemical Pump Manufacturers are the leaders in chemical pump manufacturing. We have been designing and manufacturing pumps and pumping equipment since 1987. In addition to the state-of-the-art FTI Air, we also stock high-quality, popular brands, including Oberdorfer Pumps, Finish Thompson, Lovac, and Prominent Pumps, among others.